Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hide and seek


Holi crept up on me when I wasn’t paying attention.
Just like a couple of other things.
You, for example. And the sunshine you bring.
The rain and the wind, they caught me by surprise.
The picture, the lost earring, the truth and the lies,
To all things unexpected, I can gulp and adjust,
Swallow the pride, the expectations, the trust.
What happened to the colours I threw on you, my friend?
Where did you go while time was trying to mend
The cracks in the jar, the tear in the tee?
All this time I thought you were right behind me
I didn’t see how fast I could walk, how careless I could be.
It creeps up on you when you expect it the least
And leaves you reeling with a feeling of unease.
And yet, sometimes, the unexpected can please.
When you look and you search,
and you pray that you find,
That’s when it’s sure
to play hard-to-get, and hide.
And then you sigh and you look
The other way and pretend
To be happy with what you took,
And then it begins, or does it end?
It creeps up on you when you expect it the least
And sometimes the feeling is anything but unease.
You thought you had futilely searched
Far and wide, and halfway around the world.
Who knew it was there, in your sight but far away.
Till it came to you, when you thought it had flown away.

No comments:

Search This Blog